Thursday, May 17, 2012

Babaji's Book - The basics

What I plan to accomplish at the end of August:


  • Have six chapters of babaji's teachings, based on his Shivirs/course names compiled
  • Design a book cover and the pages
  • Publish
Right, so there are definitely more details in here. Here I quote my MP proposal,


"The essence of this project is, as a publisher, to help an existing non-profit organization develop its content and knowledge into a trade, illustrated, non-fiction print book."


When I discussed the idea with my supervisor, Clare, she suggested I draw up a detailed marketing plan for the product complete with marketing research and printing details for the book.

I had considered that particular idea earlier on, but knowing the Shivyog Foundation, I decided to not go ahead with the plan.

Understanding Babaji's desire to spread the knowledge of Shivyog to the world and Ishan bhaiya's desire to keep Shivyog out of the media spotlight (considering the prevailing media-view of spiritual leaders and organisations) I realized that Shivyog books would, best reach its customers through the Foundation's own outlets (Divine Shops). I do however hope that these books will find their way into commercial outlets as well (I will be designing this book for a mass market)

My aim, however, is to provide a framework to the content in a way which will make it easier for an average Indian unfamiliar with Shivyog, to pick up His book in a bookstore and understand what He teaches. To, in a completely non-partisan way, present Babaji's teachings in the English language, in a manner best suited the content keeping in mind trends in current trade publishing.

I have to, however, reconsider the 'illustrated' bit perhaps. Or, for the purpose of this project I could use the images developed by the Foundation.

I had also stated in my proposal that I'll be designing the book for an international audience. I believe it is best to reconsider this and target only one audience at a time i.e. The Urban Indian.

And now the design bit, I stated that I will plan to provide a design framework for future Shivyog books. I believe now that based on the time I have, that is stretching it a bit. As for the design bit, I think I will primarily be working with just on colour - vermillion - the Shivyog colour. 

Babaji also mentioned that he wants a motto for the organisation to sum up the teachings. That is one more thing to think about.

(My god! So much work! Lol, but looking forward to it!)

No comments:

Post a Comment